Wednesday, September 6, 2017

TED TALK

After watching the TED talk, I learned about geometric symbols and its use in communication. I was fascinated by how geometric symbols influenced visual communication and how it has evolved. The painting by Jean Michel Basquiat that caught my attention is "Riding with Death." This painting stood out to me amongst his other artwork because of its simplicity, it's not as colorful and doesn't include much symbols nor writing. I did some research on Basquiat and found out that he struggled with heroin abuse. I found it ironic that he painted this in 1988, the same year he died from heroin overdose. This painting relates to the TED talk because I interpret it as Basquiat communicating that he was in a dark place and felt stuck and this could have been his cry for help.


No comments:

Post a Comment