Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Michelangelo Caravaggio

Of all of the painting I have seen by Michelangelo Caravaggio this particular piece stuck out to me the most. When reading about Caravaggio I learned that he established himself to be one of the most prominent Italian painters of his generation. Although he is also known for his erratic and bizarre behavior, I feel that he was rebellious not only in his life but also his paintings. He is known for developing chiaroscuro. This painting in particular pays special attention to the shadows behind each individual. His attention to light is so fascinating to me because he hits it at all of the right angles. I think it is interesting that in this photo Jesus is depicted beardless whereas in other paintings he has a beard. Caravaggio also gives the disciples in this picture a look of intensity by painting them, emphasizing their gestures. I am definitely a fan of the chiaroscuro technique that was used even by Leonardo da Vinci. I feel it is a strong effect that really narrows in on each painting and pulls you in.

No comments:

Post a Comment