Thursday, September 21, 2017

Judith Beheading Holofernes


It was interesting to me because this is actually the painting I picked last week, which really stuck out to me from all of Caravaggio's paintings. Out of the two this one is my favorite and the one I liked more because of the use of lighting and the emphasis on Judith. I also feel like the facial expressions are more clear and realistic in this one. I think the pain and look of fear on Holofernes's face adds to her power in the painting. I think the servant in this painting is also important because her facial expression and presence adds to the painting as a whole and the story behind it. Being that Judith was a jewish women who seduces Holofernes with her beauty, waits until he is drunk, then cuts his head off and uses it as a trophy that symbolizes the Jews regaining their courage.



No comments:

Post a Comment