Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Introduction: How To Look At A Painting




After reading the introduction chapter, I was quickly captivated once I found out that I will get the opportunity to explore and get a glimpse of 25,000 years of art history. The first chapter goes on to explain the difference between viewing a work of art versus really seeing it, now what does this mean ? When an individual is viewing a piece of art, they might see something completely different as oppose to the person next to them due to past experiences and the way they see life compared to someone else . And before reading this I would have assumed that your own opinion of the art work was "really seeing it ".  My perspective of the way I see art has now changed, one can only really see the art work if they understand what techniques were done to make the art work and the history behind each painting . For instance, what medium was used, what message was the artist trying to persuade, the movement, what did the artist due to create unity within the painting and many other factors. The painting above is by Picasso and it's called "Les Demoiselles d' Avignon", this specific painting caught my eye because instead of painting the prostitutes, Picasso added his own twist and painted mask on some of the women in order to bring African art to life. And after acquiring more information on African Art, I now have a completely different view of this painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment