Wednesday, August 30, 2017

How to look at a painting


I found this first chapter very intriguing. One thing that shocked me is that the book will cover 25,000 years of art history. That is pretty impressive. Another aspect that I found interesting was the distinction between viewing and seeing. The book explains that you are not really seeing a painting unless you posses the knowledge, skill and techniques to do so. The painting above is one of my favorite Monet paintings and I have always loved it because I think that it portrays the natural word in a really unique way. I also love the way it flows with all of the natural colors and the serine feeling it gives me when I view it. After reading this chapter I may soon see it a bit differently thinking about the traditional criteria for analyzing paintings. After looking at all of the analyzing criteria with Gericault's "the Raft of the Medusa" I saw much more deeply into the feeling and history of the painting than I had when I took my first glimpse at it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment